Search Icon Search site

Search

Man Accused of Shooting 16-Year-Old Begins Jury Selection After Previous Day’s Delays

A 43-year-old attempted murder defendant accused of shooting at two minors and an adult, injuring a 16-year-old, began jury selection on Aug. 21 after counsel encountered multiple delays the previous day.

Troy Ayers was expected to begin trial on Aug. 20 before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Jeannie J. Hong — a trial that was postponed in April and July. Ayers is accused of shooting at the three victims who were inside a vehicle, including a 4-year-old child, her 16-year-old sister and their stepfather in the city’s Edgewood neighborhood on Sept. 30, 2025.

Judge Hong received a panel of 120 jurors on Friday morning. The prosecutor previously noted that more jurors were requested given the involvement of two minors and any bias that may arise among the jury panel.

On Thursday, defense attorney Tony Garcia requested a postponement to argue a motion to suppress a witness’ identification of the defendant that the witness later recanted, saying there was no probable cause. Garcia noted that the motion was filed on Aug. 18.

The judge denied Garcia’s postponement request because of the untimely filing. Under Maryland law, the prosecution is given 15 days to respond to a motion.

Earlier in the proceeding, the case faced delays due to inappropriate trial clothing provided to the defendant as well as brief discussions of a potential resolution between counsel and the defendant. However, the prosecutor acknowledged that Ayers was previously unwilling to engage in negotiations, so there was no offer.

The defense suggested a sentence, suspending all but five years, that was quickly denied by the prosecution.

The delays continued around 10:30 a.m. on Thursday when Judge Hong’s law clerk called for a 90-person jury panel, but only eight jurors were available. Four jury panels had already been released to other courtrooms, the judge said.

Ayer is facing three life sentences and more jail time for multiple charges of attempted first-degree murder and several weapons violations in connection to the incident on the 3700 block of Harlem Avenue. According to court documents, the female victim who was injured told Baltimore Police that she and her 4-year-old sister got into her stepfather’s 2020 black Dodge Ram pickup truck and began driving east. The 16-year-old then saw an unknown black man pull out a handgun and shoot at the truck.

The shooting victim’s stepfather drove her to St. Agnes Hospital after she suffered a gunshot wound to her head. She was then taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma for treatment.

The defendant was later identified through a photo array, court documents state. Police also recovered 11 .40 caliber shell casings and two projectiles from the crime scene.

VNS Alert Icon

Stay up-to-date with incidents, updates and stories, as and when they happen.

Donate Star Icon

Donate

Unlike so many organizations involved in criminal justice we have one goal – bring transparency and accountability to the Baltimore criminal justice system.

Help us continue

Give now