Baltimore Witness is looking for an assistant editor.
If you are committed to hard news, serious reporting, data reporting and looking to get a taste of editing we would be delighted to talk to you.
Baltimore Witness is a non-profit news website that tracks homicides and non-fatal shooting cases in Baltimore from act to judicial resolution. We take a unique approach that has reporters in every courtroom for every hearing on every case. We are looking for someone to help us grow the degree of transparency we offer of the justice system. We don’t just cover the big eye-catching stories. We cover all homicides in the city equally, picking up the torch where traditional news falters. Through our coverage, underserved communities are given a voice and every life is memorialized. And, by leveraging our data, public officials are already improving their policy-making processes.
We are looking for someone who wants to help us continue to build something new.
We are looking for someone who has interest in the justice process either as a journalist or moving onto law itself. We need someone who is organized, responsible, detail-oriented and ready for a position with management responsibilities.
The fellow will serve as an Assistant Editor with reporting responsibilities. The position is a full-time, Monday-Friday position with work expected on the occasional weekend. Hours will vary and are subject to change depending on court operations.
The Baltimore Witness fellow duties will include but are not limited to:
- Managing interns and schedules
- Writing and posting breaking news articles on non-fatal shootings and homicides • Writing and assisting interns with profile and investigative articles
- Editing (first-pass) intern articles
- Proofreading data articles
- Assisting interns with writing and researching articles on homicide reduction policies • Covering court hearings or trials when needed
- Adding press releases, case notes, court documents, and intern notes to a database • Serving as liaison between BPD and Baltimore Witness in regards to data • Managing interns’ social media posts and other social media content
- Assisting Editor-in-Chief with other duties as needed
- Knowledge/interest in basic reporting techniques
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Possess strong attention to detail
- Professional work posting on social media sites is a plus
- At least one year of experience working in media is a plus
- Interest in the Criminal Justice System
To apply to the position, please send a resume, cover letter and three writing examples to firstname.lastname@example.org.