Data Operations Lead — Mid-Level
American Witness, the pioneering criminal justice transparency and reporting organization is looking for someone to lead the next evolution of our already unparalleled data operations.
If you are interested in social justice, or just seeing that the criminal justice system is held to account, love data and the idea of helping design and implement something new, we want to speak to you.
After eight years and several iterations, American Witness is in the process of reinventing how we manage our data to be able to increase its social impact, deliver better products and change how criminal justice is reported.
American Witness is the parent of two data engines currently located in two cities, DC Witness (dcwitness.org) and Baltimore Witness (BaltimoreWitness.org.) In each city, dedicated teams track every homicide and non-fatal shooting from act to resolution, telling every story equally and showing what happens across the entire criminal justice system rather than just its component parts. We track over 100 data points on each case and have amassed thousands of case histories and hundreds of thousands of data points.
We are currently using Airtable but have reached its limits and are building a new front and backend with increased capabilities.
We are looking for an early to mid-career data scientist who will be responsible for managing, maintaining, enhancing, and optimizing our data infrastructure and operations. The data operations lead will also be called upon to analyze and interpret data to provide valuable insights that support reporting and data products about the criminal justice systems in our locations.
So if you are up for becoming our data guru, this is the opportunity for a data scientist looking to make a difference.
Key Responsibilities for Managing and Maintaining the Data Infrastructure:
- Monitor and maintain the current Airtable repository
- Assist in moving from Airtable to MySQL backend database
- Maintain comprehensive documentation of database configurations, procedures, and best practices
- Establish and maintain data repository backups
- Manage data input processes and downstream data interfaces
- User input interface design
- Possess programming knowledge (e.g. Develop and maintain automation scripts, data transfer, module, SQL queries, among others)
- Cloud computing experience a plus
Key Responsibilities for Data Analytics
- Work with journalists to determine trends and interesting facts
- Create and maintain routine reports and dashboards to track key performance indicators (KPIs) and share insights with relevant stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of ad-hoc reports as requested by various teams.
- Maintain documentation of data sources, data processing steps, and analytical procedures for future reference.
- Operation of infrastructure
- Supporting Data Products
- Data visualization such as Power BI or Tableau experience a plus
- Recruit and manage a small team of staff and interns
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field such as Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related
- Basic understanding of database management systems and concepts
- Interest in DevOps practices, tools, and automation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and programming languages (e.g., Python, R, SQL)
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex findings to non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and adapt to changing priorities
- Highly motivated with a desire to learn and grow in the field of data analysis
Position is on-site in the DC office with some travel to Baltimore. This is NOT a remote position.
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editorial Assistant– Entry Level
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
If you are committed to hard news, data reporting and looking to get a taste of editing, we would be delighted to talk to you.
Baltimore Witness is looking for an Assistant Editor to join our team in Baltimore.
We are looking for someone to help us grow the degree of transparency we offer of the local justice system and also help notify the public about local criminal justice issues.
We don’t just cover the big, eye-catching stories. We cover all homicides and
non-fatal shootings in the city equally, picking up the torch where traditional news falters.
Through our coverage and research, underserved communities are given a voice, and families and communities impacted by violent crime are given answers to the state of violent crime in the city.
We are looking for someone who has an interest in the criminal justice process as a journalist. We need someone who is organized, responsible, detail-oriented, and ready for a position with management responsibilities.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Write breaking news on homicides and non-fatal shooting incidents and cases
• First edit of intern articles
• Work with Editor-in-Chief to compile a bi-weekly newsletter
• Track submission of data forms and case notes
• Serve as liaison between BPD and Baltimore Witness
• Manage social media posts/content under direction of Editor
• Track social media and website analytics
• Cover court hearings or trials when needed
• Works closely with Baltimore Witness Editor and Editor-in-Chief on other duties as needed
• Knowledge of basic reporting techniques
• Strong verbal and written skills
• Possess strong attention to detail
• Professional work posting on social media sites is a plus
• Interest in criminal justice system
• Interest in data journalism
This is not a remote position.
The Editorial Assistant position is full-time, Monday-Friday, position with work expected on the occasional weekend. Hours will vary and are subject to change depending on court operations. The successful applicant will report to the Editor and the Editor-in-Chief.
Baltimore Witness is a non-profit news site that tracks homicide and non-fatal shooting cases and incidents in Baltimore City. Our approach is unique by placing trained reporters in every courtroom in the Baltimore City Circuit Courthouse for every hearing on every case.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to the Editor in Chief, LaTrina Antoine, at email@example.com.
FALL 2023 internship
Baltimore Witness is a news site that provides transparency of homicide and non-fatal shooting cases in Baltimore, Md., through hard news reporting.
We are still applications to our internship program. Those accepted will hone their writing, research, and data collection skills, all while playing an integral part in providing the
community with detailed information on the city’s crime and legal process.
Full and part-time internship positions are open to students and recent graduates who are
interested in pursuing careers in journalism, sociology, public health, data analysis, or legal fields.
This internship is unpaid; however, we offer college credit. Some travel expenses are reimbursed on a sliding scale. Interns are required to work two days a week minimum.
During the in-person program, interns will:
- Track court cases for homicide and non-fatal shootings
- Attend daily trials, scheduling/bail/mental health court hearings
- Write briefs and long-form articles on cases, data, and trends
- Research and analyze Baltimore City crime-reduction and legal policies
- Interview the families of defendants and victims
- Interview and speak with court employees
- Other administrative responsibilities.
If interested in applying, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to the
Editor in Chief, LaTrina Antoine, at firstname.lastname@example.org.