Undisclosed Juror’s Note Remands 2018 Homicide Conviction

An undisclosed juror’s note in a 2018 homicide trial remanded a 24-year-old man’s case to Baltimore City Circuit Court after he was initially convicted for his involvement in a shooting that injured one and killed another.

In April 2019, Baltimore resident Shawn Little was convicted of second-degree murder and three counts of attempted second-degree murder in connection to a shooting roughly a year prior. The defendant was acquitted of first-degree murder, conspiracy to first-degree murder, and multiple firearms charges.

Little was sentenced to 40 years for second-degree murder and a concurrent 30 years for each count of attempted second-degree murder.

His case was later remanded in March 2021 and is currently scheduled for trial this May.

During a bail review hearing on Jan. 14, defense attorney Linda Zeit said Little, who was 20 at the time of the incident, was one of three defendants charged with shooting at a vehicle occupied by four people. One of the vehicle’s occupants was injured and another was killed. The remaining two occupants were not injured.

Zeit told Judge Philip S. Jackson that her client did not attempt to run after the shooting, while his codefendants—Eric Jackson and Bradley Mitchell—left the state. Little was arrested at his girlfriend’s home and cooperated with Baltimore Police Department detectives, giving a full statement that led to the charges against him.

One of Little’s codefendants orchestrated the shooting, she said, but did not specify who. Additionally, one of the codefendants is on the street, and the other is in federal custody for another unrelated case.

“Mr. Little told detectives he was there and he didn’t know they were going to shoot,” said Zeit, who requested her client be released on home detention.

A state prosecutor said Little admitted to his involvement and was convicted and sentenced. The case was only overturned because of a juror’s note informing the court that the juror needed to leave by a certain time during deliberations and a verdict was reached that same day.

Judge Jackson agreed with the prosecution and denied bail.