Murder, Attempted Murder Defendant Takes Plea Deal Mid-Trial

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

A murder defendant pleaded guilty to lesser charges in the middle of his bench trial before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Jeffrey M. Geller on Jan. 5. 

Andre Bailey was charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, firearm use in a felony violent crime, having a loaded handgun on his person, having a handgun on his person and firearm possession with a felony conviction in connection to the New Year’s Day 2023 murder of 17-year-old D’Asia Garrison and shooting of a 31-year-old man.

In opening statements Thursday, defense attorney Roland Harris said the attempted murder victim paid “an unexpected visit” to Bailey, his girlfriend and her children with a large group of people on the 700 block of North Glover Street in the wee hours of Jan. 1, 2023. The resulting confrontation apparently claimed Garrison’s life.

Bailey pleaded guilty to modified charges of second-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, firearm use in a felony violent crime and firearm possession with a felony conviction. 

Garrison’s mother told the court that D’Asia was the youngest of six siblings and the family had been “constantly overcome with grief” because of her loss. She mourned that her daughter would never get to go to prom or hit other milestones. 

“Andre Bailey committed the gravest robbery in history,” she said. She asked Judge Geller to sentence Bailey to at least 17 years, the age D’Asia was when she died. 

After Garrison’s mother’s statement, Harris described some of the mitigating circumstances in his client’s life. After being born with a learning disability to parents addicted to drugs, Bailey had found stable family life with his girlfriend and her children. 

Though the attempted murder victim was the children’s biological father, they called Bailey dad, Harris explained. When the father was outside of Bailey’s house with a gun, Bailey acted to defend his home and his family.

“He’s not a monster,” said Harris of his client. “He saw chaos coming to his front door.”

Judge Geller sentenced Bailey per the plea agreement. Bailey will serve 40 years, suspending all but 20 years, with five years of supervised probation for second-degree murder and a consecutive but suspended 20 year sentence for attempted second-degree murder. He will serve concurrent sentences of five years without the possibility of parole for firearm use in a felony violent crime and firearm possession with a felony conviction. For the murder and attempted murder, Bailey will complete five years of supervised probation upon release.

Follow this case