Man Takes Plea in Belair Road Attempted Murder Case

Baltimore Court Seal

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

A 54-year-old man accused of shooting a man in the face during a car break-in accepted a plea offer on Aug. 19 before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Melissa M. Phinn.

Baltimore resident Anthony Williams was charged with first and second-degree attempted murder, first and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, theft between $100 and $1,500, firearm use in a violent crime, discharging firearms, having a handgun on his person, firearm possession with a felony conviction, illegal possession of a firearm, and minor in possession of a firearm.

The shooting occurred on May 4, 2020, at a Citgo gas station on the 1900 block of Belair Road.

On Thursday, the prosecution offered Williams a plea of 30 years, suspending all but 14 years, with three years probation, for attempted second-degree murder, and five years without parole to run concurrently for firearm use in a violent crime.

Williams must also register as a gun offender.

The maximum sentence for attempted second-degree murder is 30 years, while the maximum sentence for firearm use in a violent crime is 20 years, the first five years without parole.

Williams’ case previously appeared in reception court on July 19 when he rejected an earlier plea, and counsel agreed to return with an amended offer.

Defense attorney Marci Johnson was present when Williams accepted a different plea on Thursday.

According to the prosecutor, Baltimore Police were called to the Citgo after a shooting was reported. When they arrived, officers found a male victim with a gunshot wound to his face. The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital for treatment.

Witnesses informed the police that an unknown black man wearing a black overcoat was taking a purse out of a black sedan when several people, including a woman, yelled at him, the prosecutor said. A man, later identified as the victim, then approached Williams and pushed him. Williams pulled out a handgun and the victim stepped back, but Williams shot him in the face.

The victim ran away, and police found Williams near the crime scene. A photo array was conducted with several witnesses, all identifying Williams as the shooter.

The prosecutor said a search warrant was executed about two weeks after the shooting when officers found an automatic handgun.

Follow this case