Man Found Guilty of Fatally Shooting Woman at Close Range on Stafford Street in 2019

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

Homicide defendant Calvin McCrea tried to cover his tracks by calling the cell phone of 33-year-old Antone Suggs ten times after he had already shot her to death, according to a Baltimore City prosecutor.

At the conclusion of McCrea’s three-day trial on March 30, the prosecutor gave her final argument where she walked the jury through the 39-year-old defendant’s every move on July 18, 2019. Beginning at 5:50 a.m., video surveillance footage showed the defendant leaving an apartment building on the 4900 block of Stafford Street.

The jury found McCrea guilty of second-degree murder, firearm use in a felony violent crime, firearm possession with a felony conviction, and having a handgun on his person on March 31 before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams.

Over a roughly three-hour timeframe, the prosecutor said, the defendant was seen outside the apartment building entering and exiting a white 2005 Cadillac STS, sometimes driving away and then returning to the area. Evidence showed that McCrea made several phone calls during this period to Suggs and another woman, who the prosecutor explained has had an on-again, off-again relationship with for 23 years.

An argument between McCrea and Suggs began and continued that morning when the former shot her three times at close range.

The defendant called Suggs 10 times “because the defendant, Calvin McCrea, had just killed her, and he wanted it to not look like he was the one who just killed her,” the prosecutor said, reminding jurors that Sugg’s son had seen the two arguing.

McCrea was later arrested in Richmond, Virginia.

“Unfortunately, [Suggs’ son’s] statements were wildly conflicted,” defense attorney Brandon Mead responded during his closing argument. [He] never saw Mr. McCrea shoot his mother.”

Instead, the victim’s son only heard the gunshots.

“In his heart, he knows Mr. McCrea didn’t do it,” he added.

Mead also countered the prosecution’s statements about McCrea’s anger expressed during some of his jail calls, which the defense attorney said was only the case because his client was upset over being accused of murder.

Follow this case