Man Found Guilty of Attempted Murder after Shooting at Friend 16 Times

Baltimore Courthouse

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

The jury in the trial of attempted homicide defendant Donte Price found the Baltimore resident guilty of attempted second-degree murder on Jan. 19 in connection to a non-fatal shooting in 2021.

The 29-year-old defendant was also found guilty of first-degree assault, firearm use in a felony violent crime, having a gun within 100 yards of a public place, having a handgun on his person, and two counts of reckless endangerment before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Cynthia Jones.

A mistrial was declared for his attempted first-degree murder charge.

Price’s sentencing is currently scheduled for May 8.

During opening statements, the prosecutor said Price fired a gun 16 times at his friend, who was trying to resolve a dispute between the defendant and a third individual on April 22, 2021.

The incident stemmed from a friendly turned intense discussion at a shopping center on the 5300 block of Frankford Avenue between Price and his friend about a third man allegedly owing the defendant $300. The defendant allegedly threatened to kill the third man as well as his friend if he interfered.

Price’s friend, who was also friend’s with the third man, later brought the individual to the shopping center in an attempt to resolve the issue. The argument ended when Price fired several gunshots at his friend who was inside his car, striking the friend four times.

“They were friends. They were homeboys,” the prosecutor told the jury during closing arguments on Jan. 18. “There’s no question who did this.”

Over the course of the trial, defense attorney Andre Mahasa ensured the jury that the prosecution has the burden of proof, while the defendant “doesn’t have to prove anything.” No evidence was found linking his client to the crime, including any DNA or forensic as well as independent observations from witnesses.

“When I was listening to [the victim] testify, the first thing I was thinking was, ‘There’s more to this than meets the eye,” Mahasa said in closing arguments. “Something else was going on other than what [the victim] stated.”

Defense counsel repeatedly questioned why the victim returned to the shopping center after the defendant’s alleged threats and why he never contacted Baltimore Police.

Follow this case