Judge Hears Opening Statements for Third Defendant in 2019 Shipley Hill Murder Case

Baltimore Courthouse

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

On Sept. 13, Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Robert K. Taylor Jr. heard the opening statements from the prosecution and defense in a murder case on Shipley Hill back in 2019.

The morning began with the entrance of the jury, who upon being sworn in heard the opening statements from the prosecution.

A grim story was painted by the prosecution concerning sad fact patterns of the case in regard to the victim. They pointed out the actions of all involved parties that ultimately led to the victim’s death. One fact in particular was highlighted by the prosecution, which was that the defendant, Reubin McFadden, fled after the crime occurred. 

“Because he was aware of what he had done,” stated the prosecuting attorney.

When the defense attorney Mary Lloyd Patton spoke for her defendant, McFadden, 24, she agreed with the prosecution on the basis that the case at hand was extremely sad all around. However, she declared her defendant’s innocence, reminding jurors that if they are left with even a shred of doubt, they should find him not guilty.

“You will have reasonable doubt,” Patton said when discussing the holes in the prosecution’s evidence. 

McFadden is charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, firearm use in a felony-violent crime, conspiracy to use a firearm in a felony violent crime, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, and carrying a handgun. 

According to Baltimore Witness, McFadden’s two codefendants, Martez Frye-Cuff and Dneah Smith, pleaded guilty back in March. Frye-Cuff, 22, accepted a plea of life, suspending all but 25 years for first-degree murder, firearm use in a felony violent crime, conspiracy to use a firearm in a felony violent crime, and carrying a handgun. Smith accepted a plea of ten years for accessory to first-degree murder after the fact. 

McFadden is accused in the murder of Marvin Mason, who died after being shot in his car on the 2400 block of W. Baltimore Street in Shipley Hill, back in Dec. 2019. The victim suffered one gunshot wound in the chest, dying later on in the hospital. According to Baltimore Witness, McFadden and Frye-Cuff had planned on robbing Mason in connection with a nearby prostitution business. The pair fled the scene along with Smith upon the arrival of the police. 

The trial is expected to continue to the next day, with evidence and witnesses being presented to the jury by both sides. 

Follow this case