Attempted Murder Defendant Accepts Plea of 47 Years

A 29-year-old attempted murder defendant accepted a plea of guilty on May 11 before Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Lynn Stewart Mays.

Anthony Evans is charged with attempted first and second-degree murder, attempted armed robbery, attempted robbery, first and second-degree assault, use of a firearm during a violent crime, reckless endangerment, possession of a firearm with a felony conviction, possession of a firearm in the presence of a controlled dangerous substance, having a handgun on his person, and discharging of a firearm in connection to an incident on Jan. 22, 2019.

According to the prosecutor, Evans approached the victim at a local convenience store offering to sell him marijuana. Evans told Pitchford to make the exchange in an alleyway where no video cameras would be present. Evans then attempted to rob Pitchford who had nothing to offer. Evans shot the victim, who was later found by police to be suffering from a gunshot wound to the cheek. 

Unbeknownst to Evans, there was a video camera in the alleyway that captured the incident. Evans was also seen holding a Styrofoam cup in the alleyway which he disposed of after he shot the victim. The Styrofoam cup was recovered by Baltimore City Police and was tested for fingerprints and DNA. 

Evans DNA was found on the cup.  

On May 9, Evans made a jail call in which he discussed the details of the incident. He also personally identified himself as the individual in the alleyway footage. 

The victim gave a victim impact statement during the hearing. He said he was waiting to catch a bus when he got shot. He had never been in that area before and was “just passing through.” 

Due to his injuries, the victim received several surgeries to his mouth and throat which altered his speaking voice. The victim continues to struggle with his speech, but he said he continues to receive physical therapy for this. 

“I do appreciate the opportunity to be here, and I’m glad to have the courage to be here,” the victim said.  

Judge Mays listened as the prosecution presented a plea of life suspending all but 27 years with four years of supervised probation for attempted first-degree murder and 20 years, the first five years without the possibility of parole, for use of a firearm with a felony conviction.

Evans and his defense attorney, Linda B Zeit, accepted the plea. 

Evans is scheduled to reappear on June 13 for a hearing regarding his violation of probation. He is expected to be given an extra four years for this charge, which will be served concurrently with his current charges.