All Charges Dropped Against Man Accused in Mass Shooting

Baltimore Court Seal

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

All charges were dropped against the suspect in a mass shooting last July on Aug. 5 at the Baltimore City Circuit Court. 

Baltimore resident Dontae Buckler was facing four counts of first and second-degree attempted murder, five counts of first and second-degree assault, and four firearm-related offenses. 

Buckler, 39, was arrested on Aug. 18, 2020, and was in jail on those charges until being granted bail on July 6, according to the Maryland Judiciary website. CBS Baltimore reported that police had identified him as the suspect in a July 3 quadruple shooting based on victim interviews. The shooting occurred at around 11 p.m. on the 700 block of S. Woodington Road.

When police arrived, they found four victims. The women, two of them 36 and the others 25 and 47, were treated at a local hospital.

During Thursday’s hearing, prosecutors officially dropped all of the charges against Buckler. An explanation of the dismissed charges was not offered. 

Another man accused of a mass shooting is nearing a trial, though he may accept a plea offer.

According to Fox Baltimore, Kyle Thomas is accused of a mass shooting in Fells Point on June 13, 2020, that left three women and two men injured. The shooting followed immediately after an argument between Thomas, 23, and one of the men. 

During Thursday’s hearing, prosecutors offered Thomas life, suspending all but 30 years, for four counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of firearm use in a violent crime. 

Thomas is also charged with four counts of attempted second-degree murder, first and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, as well as three other gun-related offenses.

A defense attorney standing in Marci Johnson, who represents the defendant, told the court that Thomas needed time to consider the plea. Judge Melissa M. Phinn granted that request and scheduled the case to return to reception court on Sept. 2. 

Another non-fatal shooting defendant accepted a plea agreement.

Baltimore Hassan Hart pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and was sentenced to 15 years, suspending all but seven, with two years of supervised probation upon release. As part of the deal, prosecutors will not move forward with Hart’s charges of reckless endangerment, firearm use in a violent crime, carrying a handgun, and felon in possession of a firearm. 

Prosecutors said that on Nov. 18, 2015, Hart, 34, entered the Shop Express at 2335 Orleans Street, armed with a handgun. Once inside, he aimed the gun at a store clerk and fired one shot. Video footage captured the incident.

Hart managed to elude law enforcement until his arrest on July 26, 2020. 

He is represented by defense attorney Megan Lewis.

Notifications are not yet available for this specific case. Please check back later for updates. Thank you.