Man Accused of Attempted Murder ‘Strongly Suggests’ Case’s Dismissal

Baltimore Court Seal

A Baltimore man’s defense attorney said his client requested his case be dismissed as he maintained his innocence in connection to the shooting of a 33-year-old man last June.

The Baltimore Police Department previously reported the arrest of Alonzo Plenty last year after he allegedly shot a man on the 900 block of E. Patapsco Avenue on June 14, 2021. According to a press release, police were called to the corner of 2nd Street and Chesapeake Avenue for a traffic accident around 4:45 p.m. and found one of the drivers with multiple gunshot wounds.

The driver told police he crashed on his way to a hospital and provided them with a description of the suspect, later identified as Plenty, who was found on the 300 block of Brooklyn Avenue a day later.

Plenty is charged with attempted first and second-degree murder as well as several assault, reckless endangerment, and weapons charges.

On Thursday, the prosecution offered a plea of life, suspending all but 30 years, and four years of probation for attempted first-degree murder. Defense attorney Michael Cooper told Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge John S. Nugent that Plenty rejected the offer and “strongly suggested” the case be dismissed.

Plenty has two 2015 convictions for assault and drug distribution. He was also convicted of drug possession in 2011.

Judge Nugent noted the request and counsel agreed on a three-day trial beginning Aug. 3 before Judge Lynn Stewart Mays.