Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.Donate Now
Four years after an incident occurred, a homicide defendant, who was previously facing a 30-year sentence, got a new trial date during postponement court on June 28 in the Baltimore City Circuit Court. Judge Melissa M. Phinn also heard two additional homicide cases as well as one non-fatal shooting case.
In June 2018, Jason Alcindor was convicted of second-degree murder for stabbing Timothy Campbell to death the year before, according to WMAR-2 News.
In December 2020, Alcindor’s case was reversed and remanded in appeals court. He will return to postponement court on July 9 for a plea offer.
According to the Baltimore Sun, police were called to a gas station on the 2700 block of Washington Boulevard after Alcindor, 36, began fighting with Campbell, 44, who was in a romantic relationship with Alcindor’s ex-girlfriend.
Although this was their first altercation, according to an opinion filed in Alcindor’s appeal, Campbell had said, on multiple occasions, that he wanted to fight Alcindor.
Represented by defense attorneys Alex Nzive and Matthew Connell, Alcindor now faces charges of first and second-degree murder and manslaughter.
Another homicide defendant, Donta Lisbon, is also charged with manslaughter.
Lisbon, 27, was previously offered a plea deal that he rejected. The details of the former plea were not mentioned during postponement court.
On Monday, he was given a new offer of 10 years for manslaughter, along with five years without the possibility of parole for the use of a firearm during a violent crime.
Defense attorney Anne Stewart-Hill said she has yet to relay this offer to Lisbon. His case will go to trial on July 16.
Lisbon was previously facing charges of first and second-degree assault, carrying or wearing a handgun on his person, and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder in connection to an incident on Feb. 28, 2020.
Another case heard Monday involved Baltimore resident Nelson McNorton, who is a suspect in a homicide.
According to the Baltimore Sun, McNorton, 27, allegedly shot and killed 24-year-old Antonio Modica on the 1900 block of W. Pratt Street on Oct. 10, 2019.
During the hearing, McNorton was offered a plea deal of life, suspending all but 60 years, with five years of supervised probation, for first-degree murder. His defense attorney, Thomas Rafter, declined the offer on behalf of his client.
McNorton will go to trial on Oct. 7 for first-degree murder, using a firearm during a violent crime, first-degree assault, carrying or wearing a handgun on his person, as well as three counts of attempted armed robbery.
The defendant was also charged with first-degree assault in the case of Shelton Price.
Price, 20, was offered a plea deal of 50 years, suspending all but 20 years, for attempted first-degree murder, and five years without parole for using a firearm during a violent crime. On behalf of their client, defense attorneys, Bradley MacFee and Linda Zeit, rejected the offer.
According to the Administrative Office of the Courts, Price remains incarcerated and will return to postponement court on July 27.
In connection to an incident in October 2020, Price is charged with four counts of attempted first and second-degree murder, first and second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment, as well as carrying or wearing a handgun on his person, having a loaded handgun on his person, and discharging firearms.
Wajiha Aulakh contributed to this article.Follow this case