Hearings Held for Two Convicted Murderers Now Facing New Charges

Thank you for reading Baltimore Witness. Help us continue our mission into 2024.

Donate Now

Two men convicted in separate murders in the 1990s, now facing new charges, appeared in reception court at the Baltimore City City Circuit Court on July 27.

Baltimore resident Damon Miles, 44, was out of prison after being sentenced to 15 years, suspending all but five, for second-degree murder, and five years for handgun use in a crime in connection to a 1995 homicide, according to the Maryland Judiciary website. He pleaded guilty that same year.

Now, Miles faces new charges in connection to an incident on Dec. 12, 2019.

During Tuesday’s hearing, his defense attorney, Jane McGough, rejected a plea of life without the possibility of parole. Miles also faces five gun-related offenses.

McGough said she wished to go “straight for a trial date,” which Judge Phinn scheduled for Dec. 13, more than a year and a half after the incident.

Judge Phinn also presided over another defendant with a previous murder conviction, Baltimore resident Tyrone Miller.

Miller, 61, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 1997, and was sentenced to 25 years in prison, according to the Maryland Judiciary website. Miller was out on parole when he allegedly became involved in a non-fatal shooting on Nov. 11, 2020.

Miller was offered 25 years, suspending all but 10, and two years supervised probation upon release for first-degree assault, as well as five years without the possibility of parole for firearm possession by a felon. The prosecutor did not specify whether the sentences would be served consecutively or concurrently.

In addition to the counts in the plea, he is charged with six other handgun-related charges.

His defense attorney, Maureen Rowland, rejected the plea on his behalf.

The case is scheduled to return to reception court on Aug. 2.

A plea offer was also rejected in the case of a Randallstown resident charged in connection to a 2019 homicide.

When Martez Frye-Cuff last appeared in court on July 19, he was offered  a plea of life, suspending all but 60 years, with five years of supervised probation, for first-degree murder in connection to a homicide on Dec. 3, 2019.

His two co-defendants in the matter, Dneah Smith and Reubin McFadden, were offered the same plea; however, the offers were neither accepted nor rejected because of an ongoing matter that could affect the defendants’ decisions to go to trial.

During that hearing earlier this month, discussions also continued over rescinding two witness protective orders, which were first mentioned during a motions hearing on June 28.

Additionally, Frye-Cuff, 22, is charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, firearm use in a violent crime, conspiracy to use a firearm in a violent crime, and carrying a handgun.

Tuesday’s proceedings marked Frye-Cuff’s third court appearance during the past month.

Following negotiations with Frye-Cuff’s defense attorney, Stephanie Salter, and the prosecution, a trial was scheduled for Aug. 13.

A non-fatal shooting case was slated for trial about one month later during Tuesday’s hearing.

Baltimore resident Ikeara Baker is charged with attempted first and second-degree murder; first and second-degree assault; firearm use in a violent crime; conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and first and second-degree assault and to use a firearm in a violent crime; and reckless endangerment. Additionally, Baker is charged with making false statements to police and two counts of discharging a firearm.

Baker, 28, is being charged in connection to a shooting on Feb. 15, 2020.

On June 23, Baker’s defense attorney, Roland Brown, previously rejected a plea offer of an unstated amount of time for accessory after the fact.

On Tuesday, Judge Phinn scheduled the case for trial on Sept. 14.

Follow this case